Sports-Industry employment opportunities receive a large amount of inquiries. A safe estimate (including Coach positions) would be 200 + candidate submissions per position.
This presents a dilemma for all Hiring Managers, those who have the burden of sorting through hundreds of resumés looking for the most qualified candidate(s). It would be safe to assume that this is also the reason most Sports-Industry positions are not filled for months after their posting.
To place your candidacy at the top of a HR manager’s interview list, address HOW you meet each of the Job Requirements listed in the employment description within your Cover Letter. You should address this information within the body of the Cover Letter, directly after the opening paragraph.
Listed below are two employment opportunities from the San Diego Padres (Inside Sales Representative) and ESPN (Account Services Representative). We highlight the Job Requirements and Required Qualifications sections to illustrate what specific information needs to be addressed in every candidate’s Cover Letter.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: Must meet the following minimum requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree in a business-related field
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Must possess a strong desire to start a career with a team that has ample opportunity for growth
• Must possess a strong commitment to the sports industry, a passion for sales, a strong work ethic, competitiveness, a positive team first attitude, and a thirst to learn
• Must be a self-starter and be comfortable making cold calls
• Proficient computer skills and experience working with MS Office products
• Strong sense of teamwork; able to create and maintain positive relationships within organization with a wide variety of co-workers
• Professional appearance and demeanor
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize
• Consistent, punctual and regular attendance
• BA/BS or equivalent work experience
• Related business experience
• Has some sales administration subject matter expertise and some competence in sales program administration and implementation
• Has some understanding of the sales positioning and sales tactics for assigned clients
• Must have strong communication and problem solving skills
• Must be able to multi-task and organize in a fast paced environment.
• Supports one or several sales teams at all levels during the sales and selling cycle and supports assigned accounts on a day-to-day basis after the close of a sale.