There has been a pattern among Sports Industry candidates noticed over the past months in the development of the Cover Letter (Research comes from the analysis of FREE review services).
Most candidates are using their Cover Letter to repeat information located on the Résumé. This is the wrong approach. Remember what the purpose the Cover Letter serves: to introduce your candidacy to Hiring Managers, forwarding their attention to your Résumé/CV (The 30-second time table). Noticeable repetitive information can be a hindrance to securing the Hiring Manager’s attention, which heavily depends on your content (This is especially true if the information is not related to the employer’s needs).
Always remember that employers are flooded with Résumé/CV submissions (Which is why most are using electronic Applicant Tracking Systems [ATS]).
The Correct Approach in writing a Cover Letter: Address HOW you meet the minimum requirements listed within the job description. Why? This removes your candidacy from the “Unqualified Applicant” submissions.
Steps to help guide your approach:
1st – Study the job description
2nd – Compare the Minimum Requirements to your unique Areas of Expertise
3rd – List employer’s Top Priorities for posting this position (Comes from Step #1)
4th – Address HOW you meet, or are qualified to meet the Top Priorities
5th – Provide examples of related Achievements
Look at this job posting from the San Francisco 49ers organization. Can you tell top priorities or the purpose for listing this position?
Sales & Marketing: Ticket Sales Management
Manager, Ticket Sales & Service – San Francisco 49ers (Santa Clara, CA)
The Manager, Ticket Sales & Service is responsible for managing ticket sales for Candlestick Park, which includes, but is not limited to, the following:
• Supervision over sales staff call campaigns to sell season and group ticket plans
• Strategic development of electronic sales campaigns (e-mail) to support new season ticket and group sales
• Management oversight for customer service matters
• Sales & service records management via Archtics
• Lead generation and data collection
• Personnel management and development, including ongoing training and skills assessment
• Monthly sales contest and commission reporting
• Weekly sales reporting to VP
• Management oversight for weekly ticket sales & service meeting
• Supervise daily sales efforts through aggressive outbound phone activity; existing customer referrals; networking events and outside appointments; and, stadium visits
• Monitor daily call activity ensuring volume requirements are being met
• Provide daily reports and activity summaries as outlined by VP
• Provide daily supervisory management of the team’s ticketing database, Archtics, to monitor and organize sales and service activity
• Implement ongoing sales and service training throughout the year, including the use of outside professional services combined with weekly best –practices sessions handled internally
• Play lead-role toward mitigating service-related issues involving season ticket and group accounts
• Establish strong, personal relationships with existing account holders to develop new sales referrals
• Meet all pre-determined activity and sales goals for ticket sales and service
• Identify new lead sources and manage data collection, lead assignment process
• Supervise staffing of sales & service tables during game day and outside events
• Assist VP in the planning and implementation of sales and service business plans and initiatives
• Assist with creative concepts for production of sales and service material/collateral
• Collaborate effectively with all revenue generating departments to achieve organizational sales goals
• Assist with all other sales and service duties, as assigned
Qualifications and Skills:
• 3-5 years of managerial experience involving sales and service with professional sports and entertainment strongly preferred
• The ability to handle multiple projects at one time and provide reports and activity summaries as directed
• Leading by example is a must, including setting the tone for daily activity and accountability toward new ticket sales and customer service
• Experience providing service to season ticket accounts in a management role
• Proven written and presentation skills.
• Extensive experience with the team ticketing database, Archtics.
• Passion for sales, service, and most importantly, leadership
• Strong work ethic and desire to build career in professional sports
• Bilingual a plus
Note: This position was originally posted on the San Francisco 49ers employment site. To ensure that your application is considered for this position, please click here to apply for this job on the San Francisco 49ers employment site.