Website TIME WARNER CABLE
PURPOSE: Responsible for developing assigned sports stories by investigating, interviewing, shooting, writing, editing, producing and reporting on a daily basis.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Using creativity and imagination, and exercising strong professional news judgment, gathers information, conducts interviews, shoots video, produces and reports assigned sports stories and events on a daily basis. Will primarily work alone to report, shoot and edit stories, operating field cameras, gear and video editing system.
- Develop original ideas for sports stories and features.
- Stories should be factually accurate, fair and balanced in content, and written in a clear and concise manner.
- Obtains sports information by developing sources and using research and interviewing skills. Conducts live or taped on-camera interviews.
- Deals professionally with public, both official and non-official, in gathering and reporting sports stories.
- Maintains thorough knowledge of sports in cable viewing area and stays in close contact with area coaches and teams.
- Maintains a strong familiarity with local and national sports and issues of the day by reading newspapers and monitoring competition. to the point that reporter can generally speak to issues credibly during breaking news situations. Maintains extensive knowledge of sports issues and events across Division viewing area.
- Edits copy written by others and edits video to written copy.
- Meets all assigned production deadlines.
- Anchor sports on a fill-in basis as required.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- There are no supervisory responsibilities
Note: This description may contain more or less responsibilities at the system level.
JOB RELATED QUALIFICATION STANDARDS:
- Excellent writing skills, strong on-camera presence, diction and delivery of news copy are essential.
- Ability to work under time pressure deadlines, strong computer skills and willingness to work unscheduled hours which may include evenings and weekends.
- Familiarity with various studio and remote broadcasting equipment.
- Must have functional knowledge and use of common television news gathering equipment including cameras, tripods, microphones, lighting and other field equipment.
- Ability to operate news video editing systems, with functional knowledge of non-linear and/or desktop-based editing systems a plus.
- Be available by pager for on-call responsibilities if required.
- Must be willing to travel by ground or air.
- Valid Driver’s License, operation of company vehicle required.
- College degree in broadcast journalism or related field.
- Broadcast or cablecast sports experience preferred.
- Must be able to function under considerable levels of stress and be able to manage multiple tasks.
- Must be able to maintain amicable working relationships with co-workers, management and the public.
- Will periodically either be sitting, standing, walking, crouching, or stooping.
- Must be able to use hands to finger, handle or feel, push and pull, reach with hands and arms and computer keyboard and mouse will be used continuously throughout the work day.
- Must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds.
- Must be able to hear and speak since both written and verbal communication are required on a regular basis.
- Must have ability to recall, remember and maintain mental focus.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be visually able to use a computer continuously throughout the work day.
- Must be willing and able to work unscheduled hours, which may include evenings and weekends, particularly during breaking news.
- Noise level is usually moderate but, can be loud.
- The environment may be fast paced at times, requires the ability to rapidly accept change, requires the ability to handle multiple tasks and set priorities, and requires the ability to handle significant amounts of stress.
- Will work inside and outside throughout the year and may be exposed to extreme weather conditions.
- Must be able to interact effectively with coworkers and others, as well as with the public.
MATERIALS AND SPECIAL EQUIPMENT USED:
- Telephone, computer, other common office equipment, editing equipment, cameras, tripods, microphones, and other broadcasting equipment.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://jobs.timewarnercable.com/job/Syracuse-Video-Journalist-Sports-TWC-News-Syracuse-Job-NY-13201/46552200/?feedId=407&utm_source=Indeed →